Magazines - January 2011

Katie Holmes graces Elle‘s February cover.
Behind The Cover story:
Cutting her Thanksgiving weekend short, Katie Holmes arrived for her Sunday morning ELLE cover shoot channeling her most talked-about alter ego since Joey Potter. In March, she’ll play fashion’s favorite first lady, Jackie Kennedy, in the History channel’s first scripted miniseries, The Kennedys. From the looks of things, she picked up a style secret or two from her character; her ultrachic Isabel Marant lavender short-sleeve sweater and black cropped pants telegraphed the elegance of a modern-day Camelot. Holmes was happy to step into something a bit friskier, though—her shoot was inspired by the dark, sexy drama of the 1992 Japanese movie Tokyo Decadence. 


When Holmes’ iconic family arrived at the L.A. studio, four-year-old Suri got to work helping her mom dress up in looks from Stella McCartney, Phillip Lim, and her own Holmes & Yang label. Meanwhile, husband Tom Cruise sneaked off to admire the selection of vintage and fine jewelry for the shoot, admitting that he was on the hunt for the perfect gift for his leading lady. Soy latte in hand, Holmes dialed up Michael Jackson and Beyoncé on her iPod and watched Suri and Cruise play tag, the little one waving to Mom between giggles. Later in the day, designer Tom Ford, who was shooting in a studio nearby, dropped in to say hello; after he left, Holmes donned a body-con backless dress from the designer’s new collection. Her look was a long way from the sweet girl from down the creek.


ELLE interview:


On working hard to perfect her role as former first lady Jacqueline Kennedy: “I worked as hard as I could, because I loved her. On set there was this feeling that we had to create something very special, because these people were very special.”

On playing such a complex role:“[The Kennedys] were like movie stars. There was such a professionalism to their public image.”

On admiring Jackie Kennedy’s strength: “I didn’t realize that she had lost a child in August and then [Jack] was assassinated in November. I couldn’t believe it. She had so much strength….I loved her love of family, how important it was for her to be a good mother.”

On the design process for her clothing line, Holmes & Yang: “I have such an appreciation for the fine details and the amount of work it takes. I really appreciate clothing and designers so much more. It’s made shopping even better.”

On decorating: “I like to create a nice table. I love roses and orchids and French tulips and berries, and then a lot of things that are just pretty and I have no idea what their names are.”

On Suri’s shopping style: “The other day we came out of a store, and she said, ‘I want to go there,’ pointing at another store quite a distance away. In that store was the dress that she wanted. I said, ‘Wow, Suri. You’re something. You picked that out from a football field away.’”

On getting fashion advice from Suri: “She’ll really tell me [what she thinks]. Like today I’m wearing brown suede pants, and she said, ‘I don’t like your pants.’ But then she’ll say, ‘You’ve got to wear these shoes.’ Or ‘That’s so pretty, Mom. Wear that.’ She’s got a great eye.”

On not letting the attention from the paparazzi get to her: “I don’t worry so much. It is what it is, and it’s fine. I’ll go somewhere because I need to get something done.” 



more pictures of Katie from the ELLE photoshoot here

0 comments:

Post a Comment